Selecting a Designer
When you're ready to select a designer to work with on your project, the number of individuals and firms to choose from can be daunting. How do you know if you've chosen a professional designer? In general, you want a designer with the following characteristics:
- Is accredited as an interior designer
- Has experience in the type of project you are doing
- Has demonstrated creativity, talent and resourcefulness
- Is attentive, responsive and communicates well
- Has a record of reliability and good work habits.
One way to ensure you are working with a professional interior designer is if he or she is a member of the American Society of Interior Designers. ASID member designers must meet the profession's education and experience requirements, as well as adhere to a strict code of ethics and professional conduct. The ASID appellation after a designer's name indicates that he or she is an accredited designer who has passed rigorous professional scrutiny and testing.
When you hire an interior designer, you get the benefit of an experienced professional who can solve problems, help you avoid costly mistakes and, most importantly, create a space designed specifically to meet your needs.To find out how to locate a qualified interior designer in your community, check out ASID's free Designer Referral Service.
Read More in Selecting a Designer
- Choosing a Residential Designer
- How Interior Designers Charge for Their Services
- What Does a Commercial Designer Do?
- What Does a Residential Designer Do?
- Hiring a Commercial Interior Designer
- Sample Scope of Services